Children must allow to play an active part in the process of mastering skills and extending their knowledge of the world around them.
To ensure that they play an active part in the learning process, not only must their interest be aroused and maintained but they must also be provided with an environment that will enable them to talk and act as if they were living a real experience.
About TEYL Students
The characteristics of the age group may be summed up as follows:
- Children are lively and enjoy activity;
- They may become completely absorbed in both physical and mental activity. On the other hand, their concentration does not last very long;
- Emotionally they are fairly stable. They are less self-centered in their personal relationships, ready to form groups and take part in team activities and games;
- Their general intelligence increases steadily and special abilities begin to emerge toward the end of this period. Their capacity to form concepts also increases, although some concepts are slow in developing;
- Children memorize easily at this age.
About an ESL Course for Kids – TEYL
An ESL course for kids of this age group should also take the following factors into account:
- A number of basic structures have to master, and with these a certain amount of appropriate vocabulary;
- The material must select and presented to the children in a way that makes learning as easy as possible;
- While learning will depend to a large extent on listening and imitating a good model of the language through drills and repetition, the child will learn most securely by actually using the language as freely as possible within his own limits.
- New material should therefore present and practiced as much as possible, through situations arising out of classroom activities, combined with the use of appropriate realia and other visual aids.
Two further points should be noted here.
First, play, which is a normal form of expression. It can use to help language learning.
For example, create classroom situations in which activities of the outside world, such as parties, and shopping, are reproduced.
Secondly, children should understand and reminded from time to time that these learning activities direct toward a certain goal. since this helps them to learn better. This perhaps best achieved by showing the child how the language is of use to him now.
About OnTESOL: Internationally recognized TESOL certificate courses since 2003!