TESL CANADA CERTIFICATION: STANDARD 1 AND 2
TESL Canada was set up in the 1990’s to raise the standards of the English Language Teaching (ELT) industry in Canada. Today, TESL Canada is the leading accrediting organization in Canada for TESOL / TESL / TEFL training and one of the most highly recognized accrediting organizations in the world.
JOB REQUIREMENTS IN CANADA AND ABROAD
Canadian Language Schools: The minimum requirement for a teaching job at a Canadian language school is TESL Canada Professional Standard 1 certification.
International Jobs: Government authentication of TESOL / TEFL / TESL certification is required to obtain the work permit in many countries. Global Affairs Canada authenticates TESOL certificates of courses on the list of approved TESL Canada programs.
Furthermore, TESL Canada Professional Standard 1 is equivalent to CELTA or Trinity CertTESOL because it requires 120 hours of training and a Practicum module, so schools worldwide accept TESL Canada-approved courses at the highest level.
LINC, University or College, IELTS Teaching Jobs: TESL Canada Professional Standard 2 certification will give you the credentials you need to pursue the best teaching positions in Canada and abroad.
TESL CANADA ACCREDITATION IS PERFECT FOR:
- New ESL teachers: Get the best level of training you can get from the very beginning! A TESL Canada Standard 1 program is equivalent to CELTA and Trinity CertTESOL worldwide. TESL Canada accreditation is open to native speakers from Canada, USA, UK, Ireland, South Africa, Australia, and New Zealand.Non-native speakers who have a high level of English language proficiency may also apply.
- Experienced ESL teachers: Upgrade your credentials and pursue greater career opportunities! Study online and save on the Practicum fee by completing it at the school you work at.
- Experienced Canadian teachers returning from teaching abroad: Get the credentials you need to teach English in Canada. You can start the program online and finish while you fulfill your contract abroad. You may also complete the Practicum abroad if the supervising teacher and classes meet the requirements.
- Canadian ESL teachers going abroad: Get the training and credentials you need to teach English in Canada and abroad. Go abroad with an online TESOL certificate or TESOL Diploma and complete the Practicum when you want to become eligible for TESL Canada accreditation! There isn’t a deadline to complete the Practicum, so you can take it before leaving, while teaching abroad, or after returning home.
AN APPROVED TESL CANADA COURSE PROVIDER SINCE 2003
COVENTRY HOUSE INTERNATIONAL – ONTESOL
TESL CANADA STANDARD 2 CERTIFICATION
The online 250-hour TESOL Diploma program offered by Coventry House International is recognized by TESL Canada for their Professional Standard 2 accreditation on completion of a separate 50-hour Practicum.
TESL CANADA STANDARD 1 CERTIFICATION
The online 120-hour Advanced TESOL Certificate program offered by Coventry House International-OnTESOL is recognized by TESL Canada for their Professional Standard 1 accreditation on completion of a separate 20-hour Practicum.
TESL CANADA ACCREDITATION REQUIREMENTS:
Upon successful completion of all exams, tasks, and assignments, you will receive a certificate awarded by Coventry House International-OnTESOL. Candidates interested in receiving TESL Canada certification must complete the following requirements:
- Minimum age: 21
- University degree: Students without a university degree can still enroll in the 120-hour Advanced TESOL Certificate program and receive the certificate awarded by Coventry House International-OnTESOL upon successful completion of the program, but they are informed that they need to complete an undergraduate degree from Canada or its equivalency before applying for TESL Canada certification. Candidates who completed their degree outside Canada can enroll in a TESL Canada recognized program, but they are informed that they must obtain the Canadian equivalency document before applying for TESL Canada accreditation.
- Candidates must have an awareness of spoken language and competence in English, both written and spoken that enables them to follow the course.
- Non-native speakers who have not completed a university degree in an English speaking country are eligible to take the Advanced TESOL Certificate or TESOL Diploma program, but they are informed that they must obtain a valid English Proficiency Score. From October 1st, 2015 onward TESL Canada will accept only IELTS Academic (Overall 7 with a minimum of 7 in each skill area) and TOEFL iBT (Overall 101 with a minimum of 23 in Listening, 24 in Reading, 27 in Speaking and 27 in Writing).
- The Practicum MUST be completed to be eligible for TESL Canada accreditation.
Frequently Asked Questions
TESL Canada is the national accrediting body for TESOL, TEFL, and TESL courses in Canada. They are an externally accrediting organization that sets the standards for English teacher training and certification. They recognize teacher training programs offered by colleges, universities, languages schools, and major institutes such as Coventry House International – OnTESOL.
Yes, TESL Canada is accepted everywhere in the world. You can use your TESL Canada certificate to teach English in a foreign country or at home. If your plan is to teach English abroad and have an internationally recognized credential to continue your career when you return home, then TESL Canada is perfect for you!
TESL Canada accreditation is not only for Canadians! Native speakers from Canada, USA, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa are eligible for TESL Canada accreditation. Non-native English speakers must obtain a valid proficiency score (TOEFL or IELTS) before applying for TESL Canada accreditation.
A 120-hour TESOL certificate course that is recognized by TESL Canada for their Standard 1 certification is academically equivalent to the 120-hour CELTA certification course. A 250-hour TESOL Diploma program that is recognized by TESL Canada for their Standard 2 certification provides more training than a CELTA course.
No, you don’t need to get TESL Canada Standard 1 to pursue Standard 2 certification. You can get the best level of training from the beginning to be better prepared for career advancement opportunities.
There isn’t a deadline to complete the separate Practicum module. You can take the online course and receive the TESOL certificate issued by Coventry House International-OnTESOL. When you complete the Practicum, we will issue a new certificate with Practicum. You can take the Practicum in Canada or abroad.
No, your TESL Canada certificate will never expire. Accredited course providers must renew their accreditation every 5 years. Even if the course is not offered any more because the institute goes out business or gets the accreditation removed, your TESL Canada certificate will remain valid.
Ready to Become TESOL Certified?
Our accredited TESOL programs will give you the skills and knowledge you need.