TESL CANADA CERTIFICATION: STANDARD 1 AND 2
Accreditations > TESL Canada
TESL Canada was set up in the 1990’s to raise the standards of the English Language Teaching (ELT) industry in Canada. Today, TESL Canada is the leading Canadian organization offering recognition of TESOL / TESL / TEFL training and one of the leading organizations in the world focusing on the recognition of ESL Teacher Training courses.
JOB REQUIREMENTS IN CANADA AND ABROAD
Canadian Language Schools: The minimum requirement for a teaching job at a Canadian language school is TESL Canada Professional Standard 1 certification.
International Jobs: The minimum requirement for international ESL teaching jobs is a BA degree in any area and a 120-hour TESOL / TEFL / TESL certification. Government authentication of TESOL / TEFL / TESL certification is required to obtain the work permit in many countries. Global Affairs Canada authenticates certificates issued by course providers on the list of recognized TESL Canada programs (Find OnTESOL under Ontario). Furthermore, TESL Canada Professional Standard 1 is equivalent to CELTA or Trinity CertTESOL because it requires 120 hours of training and a Practicum module, so schools worldwide accept TESL Canada-recognized courses at the highest level.
LINC, University or College, IELTS Teaching Jobs: Your TESL Canada certification will give you the credentials you need to pursue the ESL teaching positions in Canada.
TESL CANADA CERTIFICATION IS PERFECT FOR:
- New ESL teachers: Complete a recognized TESL Canada course and you will never have to complete another 120-hour TESOL / TEFL / TESL / CELTA course again! A TESL Canada Standard 1 program is equivalent to CELTA and Trinity CertTESOL worldwide and valid for teaching jobs abroad, online, and in Canada or the United States.
- Experienced ESL teachers: Upgrade your credentials and pursue greater career opportunities! Study online and save on the Practicum fee by completing it at the school you work at.
- Experienced Canadian teachers returning from teaching abroad: Get the credentials you need to teach English in Canada. You can start the program online and finish while you fulfill your contract abroad. You may also complete the Practicum abroad if the supervising teacher and classes meet the requirements.
- Canadian ESL teachers going abroad: Get the training and credentials you need to teach English in Canada and abroad. Go abroad with a recognized online TESOL / TEFL certification course offered by OnTESOL and complete the Practicum when you want to become eligible for TESL Canada accreditation! There isn’t a deadline to complete the Practicum, so you can take it before leaving, while teaching abroad, or after returning home.
AN APPROVED TESL CANADA COURSE PROVIDER SINCE 2003
COVENTRY HOUSE INTERNATIONAL – ONTESOL
TESL CANADA STANDARD 1 CERTIFICATION
The online 120-hour Advanced TESOL Certificate program offered by Coventry House International-OnTESOL is recognized by TESL Canada for their Professional Standard 1 certification on completion of a separate 20-hour Practicum. This online 120-hour course is asynchronous. Register in the 168-hour Hybrid TEFL Certificate program to combine the 120-hour course with the live Lesson Planning Workshops via Zoom and 3 specialists to prepare you for more teaching jobs internationally and online.
TESL CANADA STANDARD 2 CERTIFICATION
The online 250-hour TESOL Diploma program offered by Coventry House International is recognized by TESL Canada for their Professional Standard 2 certification on completion of a separate 50-hour Practicum. This online 250-hour program is for experienced ESL teachers looking for adult ESL teaching positions in Canada that require TESL Canada Professional Standard 2 certification.
TESL CANADA ACCREDITATION REQUIREMENTS:
Upon successful completion of all exams, tasks, and assignments, you will receive a certificate awarded by Coventry House International-OnTESOL. Candidates interested in receiving TESL Canada certification must complete the following requirements:
- Minimum age: 21
- University degree: Students without a university degree can still enroll in the 120-hour Advanced TESOL Certificate or the 168-hour Hybrid TEFL Certificate program and receive the certificate awarded by Coventry House International-OnTESOL upon successful completion of the program, but they are informed that they need to complete an undergraduate degree from Canada or its equivalency before applying for TESL Canada certification. Candidates who completed their degree outside Canada can enroll in a TESL Canada recognized program, but they are informed that they must obtain the Canadian equivalency document before applying for TESL Canada accreditation.
- Candidates must have an awareness of spoken language and competence in English, both written and spoken that enables them to follow the course.
- Non-native speakers who have not completed a university degree in an English speaking country are eligible to take the Advanced TESOL Certificate, 168-hour Hybrid TEFL Certificate, or TESOL Diploma program, but they are informed that they must obtain a valid English Proficiency Score. From October 1st, 2015 onward TESL Canada will accept only IELTS Academic (Overall 7 with a minimum of 7 in each skill area) and TOEFL iBT (Overall 101 with a minimum of 23 in Listening, 24 in Reading, 27 in Speaking and 27 in Writing).
- The Practicum MUST be completed to be eligible for TESL Canada certification.
3 Reasons to Choose a Recognized TESL Canada Course Provider:
Recognized TESL Canada Institutes Meet or Exceed Global Industry Standards
TESL Canada is the only course recognition body in the world that has set standards for advanced courses, such as the ones offered by Coventry House International-OnTESOL, and master’s degree programs in Education, TESOL, and Linguistics. You can get everything from your initial 120-hour TESOL / TEFL certification to a master’s degree through one of the hundreds of recognized TESL Canada courses.
TESL Canada Exceeds International Job Requirements
TESL Canada is not only for Canadian teachers who want to teach English in Canada. Native speakers and non-native speakers who have a valid proficiency score can use their TESL Canada accreditation to teach English anywhere in the world. TESL Canada exceeds the international standard of a 12-hour teaching practice module offered by CELTA . The minimum TESL Canada certification level (Standard 1) requires at least 120 hours of instruction with a 20-hour Practicum.
TESL Canada Offers Flexible and Convenient Options
A recognized TESL Canada course provider such as OnTESOL is perfect for teaching abroad with an internationally recognized credential and having the flexibility to upgrade your TESL Canada certification in stages. There isn’t a deadline to complete the Practicum module, so you can get certified to go abroad with a recognized online TESOL / TEFL course and complete the Practicum anywhere in the world when you are ready for your TESL Canada certification. However, if you take a TESOL / TEFL / TESL course that isn’t recognized by TESL Canada and you plan to continue your teaching career in Canada, you will need to study from the beginning and spend hundreds of dollars again with a recognized TESL Canada course provider.
Frequently Asked Questions
TESL Canada is the national recognition body for TESOL, TEFL, and TESL courses in Canada. They are an externally accrediting organization that sets the standards for English teacher training and certification courses. They recognize teacher training programs offered by colleges, universities, languages schools, and major institutes such as Coventry House International – OnTESOL.
Yes, TESL Canada is accepted everywhere in the world. You can use your TESL Canada certificate to teach English in a foreign country or at home. If your plan is to teach English abroad and have an internationally recognized credential to continue your career when you return home, then TESL Canada is perfect for you!
TESL Canada certification is not only for Canadians! Native speakers from Canada, USA, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa are eligible for TESL Canada certification. Non-native English speakers must obtain a valid proficiency score (TOEFL or IELTS) before applying for TESL Canada certification.
A 120-hour TESOL certificate course that is recognized by TESL Canada for their Standard 1 certification is academically equivalent to the 120-hour CELTA certification course. A 250-hour TESOL Diploma program that is recognized by TESL Canada for their Standard 2 certification provides more training than a CELTA course in all areas of grammar, phonology, and methodology.
No, you don’t need to get TESL Canada Standard 1 to pursue Standard 2 certification. You can get the best level of training from the beginning to be better prepared for career advancement opportunities.
There isn’t a deadline to complete the separate Practicum module. You can take the online course and receive the TESOL / TEFL certificate issued by Coventry House International-OnTESOL. When you complete the Practicum, we will issue a new certificate with Practicum. You can take the Practicum in Canada or abroad.
No, your TESL Canada certificate will never expire. Recognized course providers must renew their status every 5 years. Even if the course is not offered any more because the institute goes out business or gets the recognition removed, your TESL Canada certificate will remain valid.
Ready to Get Your TESL Canada Certification?
OnTESOL has been a recognized TEFL / TESOL / TESL institute since 2003!