168-hour Hybrid TEFL Certificate
Exceed job requirements abroad, online, and in Canada or the USA with our most comprehensive TEFL qualification. Save up to 35% with this TEFL bundle!
Online TEFL Course Recognized by TESL Canada and TESL Ontario
TESL Canada Standard 1 / TESL Ontario CTESOL (Part 1 of OCELT)
– Equivalent to CELTA / Trinity CertTESOL –
OnTESOL is Accredited by ACCET
TEFL Certification Course for an International ESL Teaching Career
The 168-hour Hybrid TEFL Certificate course combines our 120-hour Advanced course with the live 10-hour Lesson Planning Workshop and 3 specialist courses on teaching English to young learners, teaching English online, and using resources in foreign countries.
Become a Lesson Planning Expert with Hybrid TEFL Training
The 168-hour Hybrid TEFL Certificate is the first and only semi-synchronous online TEFL course that combines self-paced training with live workshops specific to the lesson planning skills that you need for a successful ESL teaching career.
Qualify for More TEFL Jobs with our Most Popular Specialists!
This online TEFL certification course includes three specialists on teaching English to young learners, teaching English online, and using resources in foreign countries to prepare you for a greater number of ESL teaching jobs worldwide.
Save Up to 35% on Your TEFL Certification!
Get Your TESOL, TESL, and TEFL Certification!
Receive up to 4 CERTIFICATES to qualify for teaching jobs abroad, online, and in Canada or the USA
Externally accredited! This online TEFL course leads to TESL Canada and TESL Ontario certification
Get started with your work visa and job applications before completing the full TEFL course!
The 120-hour Advanced TESOL Certificate issued by Coventry House International – OnTESOL from Toronto, Canada will be awarded to students registered in the 168-hour TEFL course for the completion of the core grammar, phonology, and methodology modules. This 120-hour certification meets the requirements for English teaching jobs abroad and online.
Coventry House International-OnTESOL is institutionally accredited by ACCET.
Become a lesson planning expert and qualify to teach English to young learners and online!
The 168-hour Hybrid TEFL Certificate issued by Coventry House International – OnTESOL from Toronto, Canada will be awarded for the completion of the core 120-hour course, the 10-hour Lesson Planning Workshop and the three specialist modules on teaching English to young learners, teaching English online, and teaching English in foreign countries.
Qualify to teach ESL in Canada!
168-hour TEFL graduates who complete a separate 20-hour Practicum, have a university degree, and are native English speakers* are eligible for TESL Canada Professional Standard 1 certification and TESL Ontario CTESOL certification (Part 1 of TESL Ontario OCELT).
*Non-native speakers who didn’t compete their university degree in a native English speaking country must get a valid proficiency score to qualify for TESL Canada and/or TESL Ontario certification.
168-hour Hybrid TEFL Certificate
How it Works
Semi-Synchronous Online TEFL
This online TEFL certification course is semi-synchronous, meaning that you can submit assignments at your own pace and attend the live workshops related to the methodology module when you reach the lesson planning Lab Assignments.
You can enroll at any time and study at your own pace for a maximum of 8 months. The minimum time it takes to complete the 168-hour Hybrid TEFL Certificate course is 7 weeks. The course Start Date is the day you successfully enroll in the TEFL course and OnTESOL activates your account. From this day, you will have a maximum of 8 months to complete the TEFL course at your own pace.
An experienced Teacher Trainer recognized by TESL Canada will be assigned to answer your questions, correct your Lab Assignments, and provide you with feedback on all your lesson plans. You will pass the 168-hour TEFL certification course after completing all 6 modules and attending all four live sessions of the 10-hour Lesson Planning Workshop. (See Syllabus)
Live Lesson Planning Workshops via Zoom
Study TEFL online at your own pace and attend the live 10-hour Lesson Planning Workshop related to the methodology module when you reach this part of the TEFL course.
You will have access to the live workshops after passing assignment 2 in methodology. Each monthly series includes four live workshops totaling 10 hours. Every month, a new series starts with Workshop 1 on the first Tuesday of the month and ends with Workshop 4 on the fourth Tuesday of the month. All live classes are on Tuesdays at 6pm-8:30pm (GMT-4 Toronto Time).
Synchronize your online TEFL course to start the live series when you are ready to complete the first lesson plan Lab Assignment. If you can’t attend a session one month, the same class will be offered the following month! In total, there will be a maximum of 8 full monthly series before your final course deadline, so you can attend the live classes when you need.
TEFL Course Overview
There are 6 modules in this TEFL certification course, including grammar, phonology, methodology, the live workshop, and 3 specialists. Each module will open one at a time as you progress through the online TEFL course. You will have to pass a variety of assignments and tests to complete the 168-hour Hybrid TEFL Certificate course, including 3 practical lesson planning Lab Assignments.
From your student account, you will have access to the textbook, pre-recorded videos, live workshops, and your personal TESL Canada-approved tutor, who will be assigned to correct your lesson plan Lab Assignments, provide you with feedback, and answer your questions throughout the online TEFL course.
This module contains general information on the ESL/EFL/ELT industry and explains the characteristics of the adult learner (Andragogy), types of learning styles, and study skills techniques to help students maximize the learning process.
Module 2A: Grammar
In this module, we will cover the basics of English grammar. This material is designed to be accessible for so-called ‘pre-service’ trainees (that is, trainees who have never taught before), and for new teachers. For those with teaching experience, it will be a good refresher course.
• Chapter 1: Parts of Speech
• Chapter 2: Parts of a Sentence
• Chapter 3: Nouns
• Chapter 4: Pronouns
• Chapter 5: Adjectives- Determiners and Articles
• Chapter 6: Adverbs
• Chapter 7: Verbs
• Chapter 8: Conjunctions
• Chapter 9: Prepositions
• Chapter 10: Tenses
• Chapter 11: Ideas for Teaching grammar
Module 2B: Phonology
In this module, we will cover the main features of pronunciation: Introduction to Phonology, Introduction to Phonemes, Getting to Know the Anatomy of the Mouth, Vowels, Diphthongs and Triphthongs, Consonants, Sentence Stress, Intonation.
• Chapter 1: Introduction to Phonology
• Chapter 2: Introduction to Phonemes
• Chapter 3: Getting to Know the Anatomy of the Mouth
• Chapter 4: Vowels, diphthongs and triphthongs
• Chapter 5: Consonants
• Chapter 6: Sentence Stress
• Chapter 7: Intonation
• Chapter 8: Teaching pronunciation
The Methodology Module covers the foundation of:
- Principles of teaching English: methods and teaching theories
- Lesson planning for teaching English as a Foreign and Second Language: lesson planning skills
- Strategies and techniques for teaching: language skills (listening, reading, writing, and speaking), grammar, vocabulary, and pronunciation
- Error correction techniques
- Learners’ assessment: types of testing and evaluation
- Classroom management strategies
- Teaching materials and aids: teacher-created, ESL published materials and, the use of authentic materials
- Using resources effectively when teaching English
Live 10-hour Lesson Planning Workshop:
Workshop #1: PPP for Grammar Lessons
Workshop #2: Designing Integrated Vocabulary Lessons
Workshop#3: Planning for Receptive Skills with PPP and ESA
Workshop#4: Authenticity in the Classroom and Task-based Learning
Each of the four 2.5-hour live workshops cover the most important sections of the methodology module in preparation for the lesson planning Lab Assignments. Attendees will have the opportunity to ask the trainers questions and participate in practical group activities.
Schedule and frequency: Access to the live workshops will be granted after passing assignment 2 (methodology). All live classes are on Tuesdays at 6pm-8:30pm (GMT-5 EST). Every monthly series of four 2.5 hour workshops starts with Workshop #1 on the first Tuesday of the month and ends with Workshop #4 on the fourth Tuesday of the month.
The Teaching English to Young Learners (TEYL) covers the following:
Introduction to Teaching Young Learners
- Characteristics of Young Learners
First and Second Language Acquisition
- Approaches and methods for teaching Young Learners
- Behaviorist Theory and Audio-Lingual Method (ALM)
- ALM and Total Physical Response (TPR)
- Cognitive Theory and Communicative Language Teaching (CLT)
Teaching Grammar to Young Learners
- Grammar syllabus in Kindergarten and Primary school
- Evaluating ESL teaching materials for Young Learners
- Reasons to use stories in the English class
- Getting ready to be a storyteller in the classroom
- Storytelling activities
The Teaching English Online (TEO) module covers:
- Teaching online basic equipment and online platforms
- Rewards and challenges of online teaching
- Assessing technology integration models: ADDIE Model; Triple E Framework
- Assessing digital tools
- Creating your own online program
- Synchronous vs. Asynchronous Learning
- Synchronous vs. Asynchronous tools
- Choosing digital tools and online materials
The TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) module covers the following:
Evaluating course books/textbooks:
- Selecting a textbook for a course or institution
- Selective use of course book materials
- Using the course book as a resource
- Course book assessment and adaptation process.
- The Internet as resource
- Evaluating the source
- Evaluating applicability
Integrating Resources for the Specific Teaching Environment:
- Accommodating levels, goals and interests
- Case studies in accommodating specific environments
- Teaching English in an English-speaking country (ESL) compared to teaching English in students’ home country (TEFL)
- Cultural considerations
- Case studies
- Using authentic material in multilingual ESL/EFL classes
Save 35% on our most comprehensive course for teaching abroad and online
168-hour Hybrid TEFL Certificate
Tuition Fee: NOW CA$799 (Original $1,200 when all modules are purchased separately) NOW US$598 (Original $920 when all modules are purchased separately)
Get an internationally recognized TEFL certification
168-hour Hybrid TEFL Certificate
Tuition Fee: CA$799 US$598
Frequently Asked Questions
A TEFL certificate is an essential qualification to meet work visa and job requirements for English teaching jobs worldwide.
A TEFL certification is generally geared toward teaching English in foreign countries, but there isn’t any significant difference between TESOL, TESL, and TEFL. What really matters when choosing a quality TEFL certification course is that it will teach you to use various communicative and task-based ESL lesson planning frameworks that are highly effective for teaching English internationally.
Yes, the 168-hour Hybrid TEFL Certificate includes a specialist module on teaching English online to teach you how to adapt the teaching methods used in the classroom to your online ESL lessons. OnTESOL graduates can apply for thousands of available online ESL teaching positions through the OnTESOL Job Board.
This online TEFL certification is valid in Canada and the United States after completing your BA degree and other requirements.
To teach in Canada, OnTESOL Graduates need to complete a separate 20-hour Practicum after the online TEFL course to qualify for teaching jobs that require TESL Canada Professional Standard 1 certification.
This TEFL certification is valid in the United States without the Practicum
In general, the minimum TEFL certification requirement to teach English abroad is 120 hours.
The majority of ESL teachers start their career with an online TEFL certification and complete the 120-hour UK-based CELTA certification course after gaining some experience teaching abroad or teaching online. As a TESL Canada-recognized provider, you will not need to take another 120-hour TESOL / TEFL / TESL / CELTA course after completing the 168-hour Hybrid TEFL Certificate course with OnTESOL.
The 120-hour Advanced TESOL Certificate provides the core skills that ESL teachers need for the Canadian and US job markets, which focus on teaching adult ESL immersion to international students and newcomers. The 120-hour course is academically equivalent to CELTA and meets TESL Canada requirements on completion of the separate Practicum.
The 168-hour Hybrid TEFL Certificate is a discount bundle (35% OFF) that includes the 120-hour Advanced TESOL Certificate course, the live 10-hour Lesson Planning Workshop, and 3 specialist modules to prepare you better for teaching abroad and teaching online. This online TEFL course is more comprehensive than a 4-week CELTA and meets TESL Canada requirements on completion of the separate Practicum.
There are 12 assignments /exams required to complete the 168-hour Hybrid TEFL Certificate course, including our most unique features:
- Standard grammar and phonology modules to test your knowledge and give you the resources you will need to refer to as an ESL teacher.
- 3 major Lab Assignments that will teach you practical lesson planning skills. These Lab Assignments offer practical training on a variety of international lesson planning frameworks, including PPP, ESA, and TBL. You will receive feedback from an experienced and accredited TEFL Trainer on each lesson plan assignment.
- Attendance to the four sessions of the 10-hour Live Lesson Planning Workshop and participation in breakout group activities is required to complete the 168-hour Hybrid TEFL Certificate course. Access to the live classes will be granted after Assignment 3 in methodology. We recommend attending the live classes before the Lab Assignment related to each session.
- Forum-based activities to learn and reflect with other TEFL peers.
- Teaching English to Young Learners specialist to prepare you for 80%+ of entry-level teaching jobs abroad that involve teaching K-12 students in public schools or private ESL academies.
- Teaching English Online specialist to prepare you for remote and flexible work opportunities.
The 168-hour Hybrid TEFL Certificate course offered by OnTESOL is valid for teaching positions abroad, online, and in Canada or the USA. Get certified to teach English worldwide with a recognized TEFL certification. Some unique features included in this online TEFL course are:
- 3 practical Lab Assignments to teach you advanced lesson planning skills
- 10 contact hours of TEFL training with our innovative live Lesson Planning Workshop
- 3 specialist courses on teaching English to young learners, teaching English online, and teaching English in foreign countries to prepare you better for more TEFL jobs worldwide.
- 20-hour Practicum after completing the online TEFL course (optional and separate for those who want TESL Canada certification).
You will have a maximum of 8 months to complete 168-hour Hybrid TEFL Certificate course from the day we activate your course (24 business hours after you register).
This online TEFL certification course includes the 10-hour Lesson Planning Workshop offered via Zoom. The four live workshops become accessible after passing Assignment 2 in methodology because they are related to the lesson planning chapters of the TEFL course.
It is not necessary to attend the live workshops to pass the core 120-hour Advanced TESOL Certificate course included in this 168-hour TEFL course, but you will need to attend all four live sessions to receive the additional 168-hour Hybrid TEFL Certificate.
The live 10-hour Lesson Planning Workshop included in the 168-hour Hybrid TEFL Certificate course takes place on Tuesdays at 6pm-8:30pm (GMT-4 Toronto time), with each new series of the four 2.5 hour live workshops starting with Workshop #1 (PPP for Grammar Lessons) on the first Tuesday of the month.
You will receive two certificates from Coventry House International-OnTESOL for the completion of the 168-hour online TEFL course: The 120-hour Advanced TESOL Certificate and the 168-hour Hybrid TEFL Certificate. You will receive an e-copy via e-mail and a print copy that will be sent via mail to any location worldwide. Your TESOL and TEFL certificates come with a unique verification code that can be used by employers, embassies, and government authentication offices.
168-hour TEFL graduates may also apply for TESL Canada Professional Standard 1 and TESL Ontario CTESL Level 1 certification on completion of the separate 20-hour Practicum, BA degree (in any area) and native-speaker accreditation requirements (English proficiency score for non-native speakers who did not complete a university degree in an English-speaking country).
Not all TEFL training courses are created equal. Most online TEFL certification courses offer introductory training that can be completed easily on a mobile phone. Although you can obtain your TEFL qualification quickly with a cheap online TEFL, you will not learn many of the necessary skills that will make you an effective English as a Second Language (ESL) teacher.
Furthermore, quick online TEFL qualifications are only valid for entry-level online ESL teaching positions and low-paying TEFL jobs abroad. OnTESOL offers the lesson planning training and credentials that you need to further your career in North America or internationally.
Read more: Is OnTESOL a Fit for You?
Yes, long gone are the days when you could just show up in another country with a backpack and get a teaching job. Nowadays, a BA degree in any area and a TESOL / TESL / TEFL qualification are the minimum requirements to teach English abroad. You won’t even be able to get the work visa in most countries without an accredited TEFL certification.
168-hour Hybrid TEFL Certificate
Tuition Fee: CA$799 US$598