250-hour TESOL Diploma
The 250-hour TESOL Diploma is suited for experienced ESL teachers seeking TESL Canada Professional Standard 2 certification.
Online Course Recognized by
TESL Canada Professional Standard 2
OnTESOL is Accredited by ACCET
TESOL Diploma for Experienced ESL / English Teachers
The 250-hour TESOL Diploma provides a greater understanding of Communicative Language Teaching (CLT) methods and their impact on ESL curricula.
This recognized online TESOL course is for experienced and certified ESL teachers looking to upgrade their qualifications with TESL Canada Professional Standard 2 certification.
THE FIRST ONLINE COURSE RECOGNIZED BY TESL CANADA
Recognized TESOL Certification Since 2003
This course has been evaluated and recognized by TESL Canada; a separate and independent accrediting body.
250-hour TESOL Diploma
Upon successful completion of all exams, tasks, and assignments, you will receive a 250-hour TESOL Diploma and a transcript with your marks awarded by Coventry House International – OnTESOL in Toronto, Canada.
Course Entry Requirements:
The following documents must be provided to successfully enroll in the 250-hour TESOL Diploma:
- TESOL / TEFL Certification: A 120-hour TESOL/TEFL/TESL certification is the minimum prerequisite.
- ESL Teaching Experience: Copy of your resume with 3+ years of ESL teaching experience.
- University Degree: A minimum of a 4-year BA degree ( in any area) is required to enroll in the 250-hour TESOL Diploma.
- Native Speaker Requirement: Candidates born in Canada, the USA, the UK, Australia, New Zealand, or South Africa and those who have completed a university degree in a native English speaking country meet the Native Speaker Requirement. Non-native speakers must submit a valid proficiency score (TOEFL or IELTS) during enrollment.
TESL Canada Professional Standard 2
Graduates who complete the 50-hour Practicum, have a university degree, and are native English speakers (non-native speakers must get a valid proficiency score) are eligible for TESL Canada Professional Standard 2 certification.
In order to be eligible for TESL Canada Professional Standard 2 certification, a candidate must meet ALL the following requirements:
- 250-hour TESOL Diploma course by Coventry House International – OnTESOL.
- 50-hour Practicum.
- University degree from Canada or equivalent (If you completed your degree in another country, you will need to get your documents assessed by WES or CES and send the equivalency assessment to TESL Canada).
- 21+ years old.
- Native-English speaker from Canada, USA, UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, or South Africa. Non-Native speakers must have a valid IELTS Academic (Overall 7 with a minimum of 7 in each skill area) and TOEFL iBT (Overall 101 with a minimum of 23 in Listening, 24 in Reading, 27 in Speaking and 27 in Writing).
TESOL Diploma Syllabus:
There are a total of 2 exams, 20 assignments, and 7 tasks in this course.
Duration: The online 250-hour TESOL Diploma program was designed for trainees who need to take a TESOL certification course at their own pace in order to meet other work or study commitments. You can enroll any time and the course will be activated within 24 business hours. The minimum time necessary to complete this course is 2 months. The maximum time given to complete this course is 8 months.
After completing this module, you will understand complex grammar structures and be able to:
- Identify common students’ mistakes.
- Answer students’ grammar questions.
- Produce effective grammar lesson plans at different levels in the methodology module.
This module will take you through all the stages of planning and delivering effective ESL lessons. It will provide you with the ability to:
- Evaluate and use various approaches within the Communicative Language Teaching method (Communicative Approach, Integrated Skills, and Task-based Learning) for teaching grammar, vocabulary, pronunciation, speaking, writing, listening, and reading lessons.
- Use different lesson planning models (PPP, ESA, TTT, and TBL) for different ESL levels (Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, etc.).
- Supplement or fully replace the ESL textbook using authentic material and improve the curriculum with lesson plans that meet your students’ needs.
- Reflect on different testing and assessment strategies.
Gain an in-depth understanding of phonological features (articulation of sounds, linking sounds, intonation, assimilation, elision, etc.) to be able to identify students’ pronunciation problems and use various techniques to correct students’ oral mistakes.
How it Works
The 250-hour TESOL Diploma program is a self-paced, asynchronous online TESOL course. Study at your own pace during the 8-month deadline.
A personal tutor will be assigned to answer your questions, correct your assignments, and provide you with valuable feedback. The TESOL certificate will be issued on completion of all exams and assignments.
The semi-asynchronous option allows you to progress through the TESOL Diploma at your own pace and schedule the next available live workshop when you reach the methodology chapter covered in the session.
Add the live 10-hour Lesson Planning Workshop to your online TESOL course for a more interactive learning experience. The 10-hour workshop consists of a series of 4 live sessions dedicated to the most important lab assignments in the methodology module. Attendance to the live workshops is not mandatory to complete the TESOL Diploma program.
What’s Included in the Tuition Fee?
All Course Material
All course material is included in the tuition fee. You can access our responsive student portal from your desktop, phone, or table and you also have the option to download each chapter in PDF for printing and/or offline viewing.
250-Hour TESOL Diploma And Transcript
Graduates will receive a 250-hour TESOL Diploma and transcript issued by Coventry House International – OnTESOL.
All certificates and transcripts are sent by mail from our office in Toronto. Graduates may also download a digital copy from the student portal.
The certificate is signed by our Director of Studies, stamped, and includes a unique verification number for employers.
Professional Tutor Support
An experienced teacher trainer will be assigned to assist you throughout the program. Your tutor will provide you with extensive feedback on every assignment to help you improve your teaching methods.
OnTESOL only hires teacher trainers with more than 10 years of experience in the ESL classroom and more than 5 years of experience in CELTA, Trinity CertTESOL, or TESL Canada approved courses.
All our tutors are approved by TESL Canada, so you are guaranteed to receive professional tutor support from a qualified and experienced teacher trainer.
Job Placement Assistance
Tuition Fee: CA$995 US$749
COURSE REVIEWS: 250-hour TESOL Diploma
WHAT OUR GRADUATES SAY
“As a graduate of the OnTESOL program, I am happy to recommend it to teachers or potential teachers. Many of our staff at our school have taken the OnTESOL program. We look for teachers who come from quality teaching programs. Seeing OnTESOL certification on a resume means we know the individual has the foundation to become a great teacher”.
School Director – Connect Language School (Canada)
“I completed OnTESOL’s 250-Hour TESOL Diploma course, and, sure enough, that boost to my credentials combined with positive references from my time with ADEC got me a much better paying position with ADVETI the following school year. I’ve since been able to certify as an IELTS examiner, largely because of my TESOL diploma, which in turn has made me a more attractive candidate to the universities and colleges. Honestly, pursuing my TESOL diploma through OnTESOL was one of the soundest investments I’ve made towards my career as an educator”.
Teaching in the United Arab Emirates
UPGRADE YOUR CREDENTIALS!
The 50-hour Practicum is separate and optional. It’s perfect for people who want to obtain supervised teaching experience and complete a teaching practice module after the TESOL Diploma program. Graduates who wish to pursue TESL Canada Professional Standard 2 certification must complete the 50-hour Practicum.
The 50-hour Practicum module consists of 30 hours of class observation and 20 hours of supervised teaching practice with adult ESL students of different levels.
There are two options for completing the Practicum:
- OnTESOL can give you a list of schools to set up the Practicum in Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Halifax, or Edmonton for a fee (Between $900 and $1,500 for the 50-hour Practicum).
- You can also complete the Practicum anywhere else in the world or in the cities mentioned above if you are already teaching at a school or you have access to an ESL class. OnTESOL will approve the teacher, provide the Practicum booklet with guidelines, moderate the reports and lesson plans, and issue the Practicum certificate at no extra cost. Graduates can complete the Practicum in any country, whether at an ESL school, community center that offers ESL classes, LINC program, or TESOL/TEFL institute. The Practicum must be supervised by a teacher with over 2000 hours of teaching experience and an advanced TESOL/TEFL certificate with Practicum (TESL Canada, Trinity CertTESOL, CELTA, TESL Ontario, or SIT TESOL). The students who participate in the Practicum must be older than 18. TESOL Diploma graduates who prefer this option are responsible for finding a qualified teacher who meets the requirements mentioned above and arranging any fees related with supervising the Practicum.
There isn’t a deadline for completing the Practicum, so it is possible to complete this module for free after obtaining employment. Some TESOL institutes offer the Stand-Alone Practicum for a fee. Visit tesl.ca for a list of TESL Canada course providers in different provinces. Some language schools in Canada offer the Stand-Alone Practicum to our graduates, but they charge a fee to those who are not going to enter into a working relationship with them.
250-hour TESOL Diploma
Tuition Fee: CA$995 US$749
Teaching a Business Course (TBEC)
Earn more money teaching Business English classes! In general, Business English teachers earn 30% more than language school teachers. In some countries, Business English teachers earn up to $100/hour! This 20-hour Teaching Business English Course will prepare you for one-to-one private tutoring, in-company lessons, and Business English programs at major international language schools. This program is fully online and it will teach you how to assess your learners’ needs, how to develop a syllabus based on lesson plans that meet the unique needs of each Business English student, and how to find appropriate material to cover the main aims of a Business English course.
Teaching English to Young Learners (TEYL)
The 20-hour TEYL Certificate course has been carefully developed to address the needs of young learners. This online TEYL certificate course is perfect for public school teachers, new ESL teachers, and TESOL/TEFL certified teachers who work with students between the age of 4 and 15. This specialist is very popular with those who are teaching English with EPIK in South Korea, NETS in Hong Kong, ADEC in the UAE, English First in China, the JET Programme in Japan, or k-12 programs in North America.
Why is the TEYL Specialist Important?
Teaching children and teenagers is a challenging job, so we designed this course to give you the tools and confidence that you need to stand in front of a class full of rowdy kids!
The 20-hour Teaching English to Young Learners specialist reviews the most effective approaches for teaching grammar and pronunciation, shows trainees how to analyze a TEYL textbook, and provides practical training on how to use the Task-based Learning approach via a major lesson plan assignment.
Teaching English Online
This course will teach you the core elements of teaching a language online, including appropriate technologies and strategies to create your online program or prepare yourself for working for an online language school. You will learn how to evaluate and use online technologies, determine the type of teaching approach or strategies appropriate for your teaching target, and if you wish to be your own boss, learn the basics to design your online program.
Help your students approach the IELTS test with confidence to get the best possible results! In this course, you will find detailed information about the IELTS test and you will also explore strategies and techniques to teach all four papers (Reading, Listening, Writing and Speaking). You will have access to materials for online practice to help you prepare your IELTS lessons.